Crowns can make a major difference to your smile and your appearance.
What are crowns?
Crowns are artificial tooth-shaped ‘caps’ that are placed on top of a tooth, restoring its strength, size and shape and making it appear natural.
When are crowns necessary?
- Crowns are used to repair neglected, damaged, weakened or broken teeth.
- They are the best solution if you’re missing part of a tooth as opposed to a whole tooth.
- To cover a tooth with a large filling (in particular, one where there isn’t much tooth left).
- Used to conceal a discolored or misshapen tooth.
- When there is a need for cosmetic alterations.
What are the benefits of crowns?
- More natural-looking teeth.
- More aesthetic-looking teeth.
- Crowns are a long-term solution and will last a long time if you look after them.
What are crowns made of?
Crowns are made from a variety of metals. However, our dentists here in Yeovil recommend porcelain over metal as these are more durable and natural-looking, blending in well with your other teeth.
What does the procedure involve?
- Your dentist at Ilchester will shape your tooth so that it corresponds with the correct internal dimensions.
- Now your tooth is shaped, our team will make a bespoke impression of the prepared tooth and opposite jaw.
- The Ilchester dental technician will cast and s can your models and carefully manufacturer your new crown or bridge.
- You’ll have a temporary crown (made of plastic) to wear whilst our dental technician makes your final crown, made at the preparation appointment.
- 2-3 weeks later, your crown is ready to be fitted. We will check in order to make sure it’s a perfect fit. It will then be cemented into place.