Imagine dentures which you can secure in your mouth like press studs? Well, amazingly you can! They are called overdentures.
What will Overdentures do?
- Replace your missing teeth.
- If you already have dentures, it may be possible to retro fit the attachments.
What are the benefits of Overdentures?
- They’re a low cost solution.
- They’ll give you back your confidence.
- Once fitted, they’ll allow you to chew as normal, so you can still enjoy your favorite foods.
- They can improve your speech.
- Most of all, you can say goodbye to wobbly dentures.
What does the procedure involve?
- Consultation - Your consultation will allow you to discuss the procedure with one of our Implantologists. They can answer any questions or worries that you might have.
- Diagnostic stage - Your dentist will need to know where your nerves and sinuses are as well as if you have sufficient bone in your mouth for the dental implants to bond with. To know this, we’ll take X-rays and impressions of your jaw so that we’ll have a custom study model. We may take a CT scan to help us study your jaw three-dimensionally.
- Stabilisation - Prior to the procedure, your dentist may feel you could need other treatment before having your overdentures fitted. This may include tooth extraction, removing tooth decay, scale and polish, gum treatment or maintaining/replacing any failing restorations. It is paramount that you demonstrate and maintain good oral hygiene before and after the procedure as this will affect the health of the implant.
- Implant Placement – Using your CT scans and/or X-rays, your dentist will fit the implants into your jawbone.
- Before booking your next appointment, your implants will need time to heal and join with your jawbone. The healing period will last around 2 months, during which time your dentist will arrange for you to be fitted with temporary dentures.
After the healing period, you can start the restoration on your new implants. Generally new impressions are taken to construct your new dentures with the hidden attachments which clip onto the implants.
Your Ilchester dentist will go through the after care of your implants and overdentures with you.
If you’re considering overdentures and would like further information, please give us a call on 01297 579339