At Ilchester we can offer you porcelain inlays and onlays to help restore any teeth that require large fillings. You don’t have to compromise on aesthetics, as they offer excellent cosmetic results as well as durability and strength. Resin inlays and onlays are also available alongside porcelain, though the latter is stronger and more durable your dentist will advise on which restoration would be best suited for you.
What does the procedure involve?
Only two visits are necessary to have inlays or onlays fitted.
The first appointment consists of:
- Removal of decayed or discoloured tooth structure.
- Preparing the tooth cavity.
- Taking an impression of the cavity and constructing a temporary restoration while your Ilchester technician can create a custom inlay or onlay.
On the second appointment:
- The temporary restoration is removed.
- The new inlay/onlay is tried in to ensure a perfect fit.
- It is cemented into place.
What are the benefits of Inlays and Onlays?
- You’ll have natural looking teeth.
- You will have stronger teeth as the tooth will be better supported by the restoration.
- Your teeth will have increased durability.
What is the difference between Inlays and Onlays?
An inlay sits in a hole within you tooth, whilst an onlay sits on your tooth, building up its biting surface.