We’re all born with white teeth but overtime they are inevitably stained by the food and drink that we consume. Everyone is susceptible to some degree of staining as time goes by, especially those who smoke, drink a lot of wine or enjoy a lot of spicy food. However, Ilchester ’s dental practitioners and hygienists can help to restore your teeth to their natural colour by meticulously cleaning them to remove surface staining. We also recommend our teeth whitening service alongside stain removal if you would like a new and improved smile.
What does stain removal involve?
- Your hygienist will give your teeth a thorough and deep clean (otherwise known as scale and polish), removing all of the tartar, plaque and surface stains than taint on the enamel (protective) coating.
- The shade of your teeth will be recorded using a colour chart or by taking a digital photograph.
- Following this, you and your dentist can talk about what shade of whiteness you would like.
Stained teeth can leave you feeling self-conscious and prevent you from wanting to smile. Stain removal allows you to reset your teeth to their natural state, so that you can look after them by brushing adequately and flossing regularly when you leave us after treatment.
What can I do to minimise stain removal?
- Brush your teeth for about two minutes last thing at night before you go to bed and on one other occasion every day.
- Floss before brushing to remove bits of food between the gaps of your teeth.
- Avoid drinking too much red wine and smoking. Try to brush after doing both of these.
- Avoid smoking as well as food and drink that may stain your clothes (such as tea/coffee, spicy food and berries) as they could also stain your teeth.